Monday, February 02, 2009

The New Banshees! (not a band, but it would rock too)

For the sake of making this entry PG, I will not post any pictures.

And before reading, do note that this is spoiler city.

I am always interested in the banshees in the horror genre. I have seen and observed and have been following up on how they have changed. Here's my observation thus far.

When I talk about banshees, you will know for sure that I have to include the queen of them all here:

1 - Ringu
It has to be the Japanese to come up with such horror. Because of the appearance of that Banshee Sadako, I couldn't sleep for two nights. Then I decided to watch it again to face her before a good night's rest.

Sadako was:
dressed in white,
has long hair,
walks contorted,
and has the eye.

2 - Forgotten B-grade Korean Horror
I stumbled upon this on an online b-grade horror streaming site. I was watching it for fun but when the banshee appeared, I jumped out of my seat!

She was:
dressed in white,
has long hair,
walks contorted,
and has white eyes!

Note: wearing black doesn't count as change. I am referring to Tales of Two Sisters.

3 - Alone
This Thai horror film remixed the banshee again! Just when banshees are everywhere, trust the Thais to bring the feat back.

She was:
dressed in white,
has long hair,
walks contorted,
has white eyes,
and a contorted mouth that leans her upper head all the way back!

Soon, the banshees are plain again. but now...

4 (latest) - Left 4 Dead, F.E.A.R., REC
Even though REC is a zombie movie, the monster has definitely inspired the banshee's new look. Evident in F.E.A.R., she is now:

naked,
has balding and unkempt hair,
has pale eyes,
contorted mouth,
and being naked, you can see that she is very frail and damn skinny,
and almost five hundred years old looking.
















So,

Respect grandmothers.

No comments: